In-house Metallurgical Laboratory
Tempered and Specialty Metals performs metallurgical testing in our in-house metallurgical laboratory. All testing is performed following ASTM specifications. We use ASTM testing standards to determine the chemical and mechanical properties required to ensure customers receive the appropriate grade of stainless steel for their applications.
- Rockwell Hardness Testing – ASTM E18:
- Rockwell B and C and Rockwell Superficial T and N scales. Test includes average of 3 reading – conversions per ASTM E140. Thickness minimum annealed and tempered – 0.015″.
- Micro Hardness Testing – ASTM E384:
- Specifies a range of light loads using a diamond indenter to make an indentation which is measured and converted to a hardness value – under 0.015”
- Tensile – ASTM E8: Test includes tensile, yield, and elongation
- Analysis is performed using optical emission spectroscopy (OES). Complete analysis to ASTM reporting requirements including C & N.
- Chemistry (200, 300 & 400 series stainless steels) Per ASTM A751 and ASTM E1086.
- Bend – ASTM E290:
- Testing conducted with the bend parallel or perpendicular to rolling direction (specify test direction). 180 Degree bend thickness maximum (annealed 0.187″, tempered 0.050″).